Department of Communication Studies Internship Program – COMM 4410/4445
Interested in doing a COMM 4410/4445 Professional Internship?
- Students must be eligible to register for Comm 4410/4445 or Jour 4410.
Eligibility requirements are included at the following link: Internships | Department of Communication Studies | UNC Charlotte
- Students must complete the Internship Program Online Orientation and quiz available via self-enrollment at the link above.
- Students must apply and interview for internships until accepting an internship offer.
- Once an internship offer is accepted, the next step eligible students must complete is emailing the link to the Qualtrics Survey to the person who offers the internship.
The Internship Employer Packet must be reviewed by the site supervisor prior to completing the Qualtrics Survey and is also included in the Survey as a hyperlink.
- The final step is to submit an Internship Application requiring the information below.
Employer/Organization name, address, city, state, zip, website, job/intern title, Site Supervisor’s name, SS title, SS email, SS phone number, job description, hours per week, rate of pay, start/end dates, goals and objectives for the internship.
Once the Qualtrics Survey and Internship Application are submitted, if approved, a permit will be issued and an email sent with the registration instructions. Students will not be able to register until a permit has been issued, but there is an indefinite number of seats available.
Information students will receive during the Internship Program Online Orientation includes:
- Where and how to contact potential internship sponsors
- The difference between a 49ership and an internship
- Eligibility requirements to register for an internship (Comm 4410/4445)
- Assignments for Comm 4410/4445
- What to do when you get an internship offer
- Steps to registering for Comm 4410/4445
There are two options for the amount of time students spend on-site during the semester:
- 3 credit hours = 120 hours on site
- 6 credit hours = 240 hours on site
Fall/Spring semesters (15 weeks):
- 8 hours per week = 120 hours
- 16 hours per week = 240 hours
Summer Sessions I and II (10 weeks):
- 12 hours per week = 120 hours
- 24 hours per week = 240 hours
**Summer tuition rates apply to the registration of 4410, just like all other courses where you must
pay for the credit hours you are registered for.
Eligibility requirements for Comm 4410/4445:
- Students must complete the online orientation to the internship program.
- Students must be of junior or senior standing (60+ hours on your transcript)
- The student must be a communication major or minor, or journalism minor.
- The student must have a 2.0 or better overall grade point average.
- The student must have completed certain track requirements. Students majoring in Communication Studies must have completed only those courses in their track:
- Media and Technology: COMM 3120 or COMM 4101
- Rhetoric, Culture, & Social Change: COMM 2102, COMM 2103, or COMM 3130
- Organizational: COMM 3141
- Public Relations: JOUR 2160, COMM 2145 and COMM 3245
- Journalism: JOUR 2160 and JOUR 3160
- Health: COMM 2100 and COMM 3115
- General: COMM 2105, COMM 2107, or any concentration’s prerequisite for an internship (e.g., COMM 3141, 3115, etc.)
6. Students minoring in Communication Studies must have completed 1 of the following 5 courses before being eligible to commence an internship.
- COMM 3115-Health Communication
- COMM 3120-Media, Technology and Communication
- COMM 3130-Rhetoric and Public Culture
- COMM 3141-Organizational Communication
- COMM 2145-Principles of PR & COMM 3245 Public Relations Writing
Announcement for Interns:
The deadline to register for Comm 4410 for Fall 2023 is Monday, August 21, and the deadline to register for Comm 4410 in Spring 2024 is Wednesday, January 10, 2024