Communication Studies Advising Information
For detailed information visit the Communication Studies Canvas Advising Site
Advising Information provided for the following programs:
- Pre-Communication Studies
- Communication Studies
- Communication Studies Minor
- Journalism Minor
- Health and Medical Humanities Minor
PRE-COMMUNICATION STUDIES REQUIREMENTS
Pre-Communication Studies Majors are assigned an Pre-Communication Advisor in the center located in Fretwell 235
You can find your advisor by following these steps:
- Log in to My UNC Charlotte
- Click on Connect
- Advisors are listed under “My Success Network”
Students are initially classified as Pre-Communication Studies (PCOM) majors until they meet the following requirements:
- Earn a grade of C or above in:
- COMM 1101 Public Speaking
- COMM 2100 Intro to Communication Theory (Restricted to 2 attempts)
- COMM 2104 Communication Studies Foundations
- STAT 1220 or 1222 Intro to Statistics
- You must also maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
COMMUNICATION STUDIES ADVISING
Communication Studies majors are advised by the departmental Academic Advisor or assigned faculty advisors. Advising is recommended after students matriculate into the major and at least once per year. Appointments may be made via Connect.
UNDECLARED AND TRANSITIONING MAJORS:
Students looking for assistance on choosing a major that is suited for their interests and goals may meet with an advisor in the University Advising Center.
While the Academic Advisor is there to help, you as a student must also accept the following responsibilities:
· Be proactive and seek advice early in the semester. Schedule appointments via Connect.
· Follow dates and deadlines on the academic calendar (Add/Drop, Withdrawal, and graduation).
· Frequently check your charlotte.edu email for official communication from the University.
· Be familiar with pre-requisites and progression requirements for your major/concentration
· Ask questions sooner rather than later
For more information contact CommStudiesAdvising.